Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Appreciate What You Have!


Life and the love we get, the experiences we have and the opportunities that lay ahead of us are endless. Some people throw away what they have and don't realize what they had until it was gone. I think that we shouldn't have to lose anything in order to find ourselves.


Probably the greatest question we can ask ourselves is what is the most important thing in life? This question could quite simply be impossible to answer and is definitely different for each and every one of us. When you try to think of the most important thing in your life, what is it? If you can pinpoint the answer, you can determine what your life is based on. Sometimes the most basic principles are things that overlook everyday. I think that so many people don't appreciate how fortunate we are. I believe in not taking life for granted.
All the things people wouldn't know if my life was over tomorrow, are the things I have been to scared to do and tasks that I have been too lazy to complete. There are too many people I never looked in the eye and I have too many unspoken words. I have chosen sleep over early mornings too many times. I've spent too much money on materialistic things instead of using it to live my life. Even though I know that so many of us are sitting around in designer jeans, on our iPod's, cellphones in our pockets that can do more than most computers, we feel our life's still aren't fulfilled. What more do we need?
Material items rule our lives and it's causing the sweetness of life to turn sour. Savor the tastes of life by recognizing who you are, and what you have. Simple things in life may not be so simple when you come to realize the impact they really have. I came to realize how much I have in my life after I returned from a mission trip in Nassau Bahamas in 2012. Their lifestyle somehow affected me in a way I don't think anything else could. Some call it a rude awakening but others, a way to open my eyes into a culture with different standards in what life has to offer. I found the whole experience humbling, and to say that we are privileged is merely an understatement. I feel more in touch with life than ever before.
We fall into routines, taking for granted what special gifts have been given to us and fail to appreciate and give thanks. PAY ATTENTION! Listen, and look for the positive in your life. NOT just in your relationships, but especially in nature. The way the wind caresses the tops of trees, the dance a seagull does among the clouds, and the warmth of the sun warming our hearts. The clock is ticking. Days are passing, and seasons seems to fly by more than ever as we age. Do not take for granted the daily blessings. Yes, easier said than done. I would do anything to have my grandmother back to tell her what I have learned and what has happened with my life. That cannot happen. I can however begin to tell my parents, my sister and my best friends how much they mean to me. I will NOT take them for granted. Look again  Look at familiar trees, familiar scenes, your friends, even your teachers. Look at them with new eyes; look at them as if your days are numbered, because they are. Time keeps marching on, and its up to us to make the most of each second. 

No comments:

Post a Comment